Settled in 1682, Greenport is the North Fork's quintessential Whaling Captain's village with a distinct New England flair. Historically famous for its significant whaling and fishing port, Greenport has recently become a tourism hub - a three-way link connecting Long Island (towards I495) with the ferry across Shelter Island to the Hamptons, and via Orient to New London in Connecticut. Greenport is the last station of the LIRR railroad and the end of the Hamptons Jitney Bus line to Manhattan. It is said that Greenport's waterfront as in the rest of the North Fork facilitated some illicit trading of boose - and had its share of speakeasy hangouts. A very active antique and art community and lots of restaurants have made shopping and dining in Greenport a lot of fun - a visit to Claudio's is a must-allegedly the Northeast's oldest continuously same-family-run dockside fish restaurant with in-season live entertainment on the dock.
A lot of the housing-stock (old, some Victorian style homes on beautiful old-fashioned tree lined streets) has been renovated without loosing any of its historic pride.
Main Street and Front Street are home to the famous 1920s "Carrousel and Mitchell Park" - family favorites- overlooking Greenport Harbor. The historic District encompasses quite a few stores like Preston's who served the fishing community for a long time.
A few condominium complexes - rare on the North Fork- call Greenport home: among others, Sterling Cove (overlooking Sterling Harbor), and down-town Driftwood cove to name a few.
Outside of the incorporated village, the Hamlet of Greenport extends to the Long Island Sound shore as well.