Finding the right home can be a challenge. The basic requirements, such as budget, number of bedrooms and baths, pool, tennis, etc put the wheels in motion. But time is precious and the inventory is vast. Identifying your specific needs is the key to maximizing your efforts.
Below is a checklist to help you identify your specific needs:
- Does anyone living in the house or potentially visiting, require a first-floor en-suite bedroom? (i.e. elderly parents)
- Does a housekeeper/nanny require a room, set apart from the family, with egress separate from the main family living areas?
- Is there a family room where children can play, separate from adults, on rainy days?
- Is the pool fenced and child-proof, either for your children, or visitors with children?
- Do you want a location where a nanny can walk with children without being dependent on a car?
- Are there separate outdoor areas, where someone can relax in peace, while others are enjoying conversation or play?
- What are the core elements of flow that will maximize your pleasure. Do you like open-flow living areas or more traditionally defined spaces?
The above is simply a start to help you to “fine-tune” your search. Take some time to think about your life style and the flow of people in the house. Share as much as possible with your real estate professional. The more information he/she has, the easier it will be for them to find a home that is perfect for you!
Linda Statam is an Associate Broker with the Southampton office of Town and Country Real Estate of the East End. You can contact her on her mobile @ (631) 725-3510 or at lstatam(at)1townandcountry(dotted)com